Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Time Flies

Time is flying.  Literally.  I flipped my calendar from May to June today, and had to stop for a minute to wrap my head around the fact that (as of tomorrow) it is JUNE!!!!!  How did that happen?

When I gave 4 months notice for my job, it felt like an eternity.  Now, here we are, 2 months to go, and I'm starting to think to myself "This time in 2 months, I'll be packing up".  Worse, with Ben heading to SLC this month, I find that I'm now counting the days until he leaves, rather than weeks or months.  *tear*

So, between Ben leaving in a few weeks, Relay For Life in Ohio next weekend, and my replacement arriving from Peru at the beginning of July, needless to say, my summer seems to be slipping away from me already!  

Knowing how fast these next 2 months are going to go, I want to make the most of my time here - soaking up every last giggle, smile and hug from the munchkins as I possibly can.  It hits me a little more each day, just how much I'm going to miss the kids, and in general, our life here. 

We spent a wonderful weekend walking at the local dog park, strolling through downtown Lodi, and enjoying some early summer California weather - I'm going to miss all those things! 

I'm going to miss chatting with the moms and teachers at preschool.  I'm going to miss walking into Starbucks and having the barista ask me if I want my "usual".  I'll miss chatting with the folks at my grocery store, who have gotten to know me all too well over the last 4 years (considering I make multiple trips a week!).  I don't know what I'll do when my mornings don't begin with waking up Jack and Molly, being greeted with hugs, smiles, and yes, sometimes a case of the cranky pants. 

Yes, it's possible that, one day, I'll feel the same way about my life in Salt Lake City.  I know I'll meet people, find a Starbucks that I love, become familiar with my grocery store clerks, etc.  But, something about knowing that time here is limited is making me feel nostalgic for all things California, and more specifically, Lodi.

As Anna Nalick sings "life's like an hourglass glued to the table." - truer words were never spoken (or put to music).  So, as time whizzes by me without the convenience of a rewind button, I will make the best of it.  I will soak up every precious moment I can with Ben before he blazes the trail to SLC, and I will enjoy all that I can every day before I wave goodbye to the place and the people that have made this my home for 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!