Friday, May 6, 2011

My Love Affair With Starbucks

I have, according to those close to me, a bit of a Starbucks addiction.  Our flirtation started only a few years ago.  Every so often, I'd require a mid-afternoon pick-me-up at work, so I'd make a coffee run for the few of us who needed it.  I'd meet a friend for coffee from time to time, but that was about the extent of my commitment.  Never predictable in my need for it, I kept a healthy distance from my new "crush". 

Then, I moved to California.  Something about being in a strange place, you look for anything familiar to latch on to.  I first located Target (which is another issue entirely), and many of you know, where there is a Target, there must be a Starbucks close by!

And so, our relationship began to blossom.  If I was bored, or needed something to do, I'd treat myself to a frappuccino.  This seemed to happen more and more frequently.  Then, as I began to make friends, it seems we were always going for coffee on the weekends or on the random week night that we each had nothing to do. 

More recently, our casual relationship became something much more intense.  I'd crave the mid-morning boost that only the frappuccino could offer, and unfortunately, I managed to drag Jack and Molly into the dysfunction with me!  We couldn't drive past a Starbucks without one of them saying "Can we get a mocha?" (which is what they each called Starbucks, because I always get a mocha flavored drink).  They were my little enablers - who can resist the little voice from the back seat calling out "It's Starbucks!"  Apparently, not me!

I began to sense that my dependence was a problem when they started writing "Molly's Mom" (assuming that was me) on my cup instead of asking for my name.  Surely I wasn't frequenting their establishment often enough that they knew Molly's name!  In fact, I was.  I'm ashamed to say, in response to this, I started planning visits to various locations - I wouldn't go to the same place twice in the same week, so to each barista, I was only a semi-frequent patron.  I was well aware of the damage I was doing, not only to my waistline, and sleeping habits (the caffeine wasn't always a good idea), but also to my bank account!  At the end of each month I'd look at my account online, and if I sorted my transactions alphabetically, the number of "Starbucks" charges were staggering.  

So, it was time to cut back.  To begin to draw away from a relationship that I knew, deep down, wasn't good for me.  I gave myself a month - I figured if I couldn't get over my  hang-up in that time, then I was officially hopeless and might as well get a job there, so that at least I'd get some kind of an employee discount!  I allowed myself one Starbucks run per week.  I'd hold out as long as I could, so that when I really needed a fix, I wouldn't feel too guilty indulging. 

Amazingly, it worked!  Once I got over the initial urges, I felt empowered!  My dangerous infatuation had come to an end.  I no longer felt like I'd explode without a frappuccino, and found myself no longer looking forward to it the way I had before.  Life once again made sense, and I was able to live in a world without daily Starbucks fixes.  

Unfortunately, the best intentions are often foiled by a simple twist of fate.  On one of my (much less frequent) visits to Starbucks, I was introduced to "Your Frappuccino, Your Way".  Apparently now you could get it any way you wanted it!  Decaf?  No problem!  Shot of peppermint?  You've got it!  Non Fat?  Bring it on!
And so, the flame of our love was fanned, and I was once again head over heels in love. 

The season of Lent brought a unique challenge to my life, when I decided to give up caffeine.  Fortunately, my dear Starbucks was more than willing to accommodate me by making my beloved frappuccino a decaf upon request.  I've gotten to the point where I don't even want a regular - so I remain, even weeks after Lent ended, caffeine free!

As time has gone by, we've had our ups and downs, but I find that, at last, we are in a good place.  Molly and I still enjoy going to Starbucks (if it fits into our schedule), but nowadays, it's more to do with the fact that we've gotten to know a few of the baristas, and actually enjoy talking with them for the few minutes that it takes to make my grande decaf peppermint mocha frappuccino.  As we tighten our purse strings over the coming months, I have a feeling that I'll find myself cutting back once again, though I'm sure I can survive with the help of those close to me who seem happy enough to provide me with the occasional Starbucks gift card!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!