Monday, May 9, 2011

Blogging and Seinfeld

Everyone has their own way of winding down in the evenings after a long day.  Some may exercise, go out to dinner, take a shower.  Ben and I watch reruns of Seinfeld.  This is a fairly new routine in our house, but one that we've come to enjoy over the past few months.

Yes, we have other shows that we love - NCIS, Deadliest Catch, Blue Bloods, House (to name a few) when we want something a little more "grown up", but somehow, Seinfeld just lends itself to vegging out.  Even though we've probably seen every episode at least once, something about it is always funny. 

So, the other day, we were sitting in our typical post-workday vegetative state, and it struck me - blogging is just like an episode of Seinfeld!  Laugh if you want, but I think I'm onto something here.  Seinfeld is a show about a bunch of random interactions - a day in the life...  "You'll never believe who I ran into", "Wait until you hear this", "Listen to what just happened to me", etc.  They discuss whatever is happening in their world, analyze it, brag or complain, discuss possible solutions, then (cue exit music), the show is over (bop a dat bee dee bow bow) and in the next episode, they encounter an entirely new set of problems.

Blogging is much the same.  Take a look at life, wait for the inspiration, then write about it.  So much of what I write occurs to me that same day (except for this one...I've been stewing over this since last week).  When it's happening, or fresh in my mind, it's so important, then before I know it, my attention has moved to something else - the next random thought, event, crisis, cause for celebration, or opportunity to stand on my digital soap box and rant. 

The great thing about blogging (and watching Seinfeld) is that you don't need to know the whole history to understand each entry (or episode).  There are reoccurring themes and characters, but in general, each account stands alone as its own thought.  They are a snapshot of an individual experience.

So, as I move ahead with my blogging, I (in the spirit of Seinfeld) welcome the opportunity to explore my day, my interactions, the little things that make my life unique, even if it is, in the end, a blog about nothing!
(Cue exit music)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!