Friday, May 27, 2011

House Guests!

I love having people come to visit.  Ever since I moved to California, I've been dealing with the fact that my family is on the other side of the country.  If we want to see each other it requires not only advanced planning, but also various plane rides, and more than a few vacation days.

They say that fish and house guests go bad after 3 days - I haven't found that to be true.  We are blessed with wonderful family, so rather than dreading visits and counting the days until they leave, we never seem to have enough time.

Having people come to stay at our house somehow makes me feel like a grown up.  Maybe it reminds me that I actually live on my own, or maybe it's just that I'm excited to use the guest room for something besides storage.  In any case, when anyone comes to visit, it makes me feel like I'm on vacation in my own home.  We plan our menu, have a schedule of activities, and tend to branch out and do things that we wouldn't ordinarily do on our own.  

This weekend is no exception.  Abbie and Chad (Ben's sister and brother-in-law) are staying with us for the weekend as they finish a week-long road trip through California.  Our schedule for the next 2 1/2 days is already filling up with various activities, outings, and big plans for relaxation.  As is often the case, no matter what we end up doing, we're surely going to have fun!

With our upcoming move to SLC looming in the not so distant future, this weekend will likely be our last with visitors until we are official Utah residents.  Then, we will, once again, begin counting the weeks and days until our first visitors arrive. 

2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!