Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Car Dilemma

I need a new car.  No, I'm not just whining "want" a new car - I think I literally need a new car!

I bought my 2005 Suzuki Reno (please try to control your laughter) when my Jeep Grand Cherokee died.  Literally, it was going to cost twice what it was worth to fix it...no thank you!  Unfortunately, at the time, the Suzuki was just about all I could afford, so, I picked one that didn't make me physically ill, and tried to make the best of it. 

Now, here I am, 6 years later, and still driving a car that I was never crazy about to begin with.  Yes, it's been pretty good to me - it got me, my mom, and all my worldly possessions from Ohio to California in one piece, and has been a nice "buzz around town" vehicle.  I've just outgrown it.  It's the kind of car a high school kid should be practicing parallel parking in, or maybe something for a college commuter to get from point A to point B with.  Not necessarily ideal wheels for someone making a move to rather hilly and snowy climate.

The plus side of Little Red (as we've come to call it) - it's fully paid for!  Honestly, the day that I mailed my last car payment was one of the happiest of my life!  So, you might ask, why am I so anxious to take on another car payment so soon?  The truth is, I'm not.  I don't want to take on a new car payment.  I don't want any additional financial responsibility leading up to our move to Salt Lake City with the possibility that income could be nothing more than a trickle for the first few months once we get there. 

But what I don't want even more, is to have to drive my car this winter in the hills (ok, mountains) of Salt Lake City.  I learned to drive in the snow, I've been driving in snow for years, so that's not the issue.  The fact is, I've seen how this glorified matchbox on wheels handles on flat ground during a snow in Ohio, and honestly, I don't think anyone (including my soon to be fellow SLC drivers) wants me on the road with this little red devil!

So, now it's dilemma time.  Do I make it work (and take my life into my own hands) with Little Red until I'm more confident in our financial situation?  Should I lease a small SUV?  Are we better off looking into getting a pre-owned vehicle with lower monthly payments?  Should I just shut my mouth and be happy that I even have a car?  What's the answer?!?!

Sigh...where is the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol when you really need them?

1 comment:

  1. Can you take the car with you when you move and see how it does in the snow where you'll be living? If it's not working out, then you can get a new car? :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!