Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fashion Police

Why is it that everywhere I look, I see grown adults wearing cartoon apparel?  Let me elaborate.  I'm not talking about teenagers, families at Disney Land, or folks at a kid's birthday party.  I'm talking about random adults - often seen without children - in malls, restaurants, and grocery stores, donning Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty, Daffy Duck (and numerous others) t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, hats, etc. 

I don't understand.

Now, I don't want to insult anyone - I just need answers.  I like Mickey Mouse just as much as the next person, but for whatever reason, I'm not inclined to wear a sweatshirt proudly displaying his face to meet my friends for dinner.  I realize that sometimes you can't find anything else that's clean, you're having a "fat day", or maybe you're sick and can only stand to have on a sweatshirt - there are definitely specific times when any old sweatshirt will do, even the one you bought as a souvenir last summer and never intended to wear again.

Is that what's happening?  Am I just hyper-sensitive to it?  Do I somehow gravitate towards people who are having one of "those" days?  Do they, in turn, look at me and wonder "why the heck would she wear something so boring?"  I'm certainly not one to dish out fashion advice, this is just one style choice that I don't understand.

One thing I will admit that I am guilty proud of is wearing shirts with sports teams.  Between Ben and I, we have multiple Ohio State, University of Utah, and Utah Jazz shirts and sweatshirts taking up space in our closet.  While on a random day I've been know to wear one of them out and about, I usually save them for game days - gotta support the team - or in the evenings at home over my jammies!  Yes, just like everyone else, I have days when only a sweatshirt will suffice (usually if it's cold and/or rainy), so I default to my OSU hoodie (sooo comfy).

Is that the same thing?  Do the cartoon wearing people look at sports wearing people with the same level of confusion?  What about those who exist on a level of fashion that doesn't include sweatshirts?  Are we the odd balls? 

In any case, I simply don't understand the cartoon clothes.  Perhaps I need to just file it under "Things I Don't Get" (right next to the fake "balls" that people hang from the backs of their trucks) and move on. 

3 comments:

  1. They are called "truck nutz "!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our sports hoodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOATHE cartoon clothing ... or character clothing in general. N has rec'd a few pieces of clothing with characters on them and they've been returned immediately. I'm so with you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!