Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Across The Miles

Yesterday's post about how time seems to be flying, has reminded me of how much has happened in my life during my time in California, and by extension, all the things I've missed by being so far away. 

Yes, we are moving to Salt Lake City in order to be closer to family, but it won't bring back all that I've missed over the last 4 years.  Weddings, babies being born, birthdays, the passing of (2) grandparents, my mom's battle with cancer, my dad's ongoing struggle with Alzheimer's, and numerous (seemingly trivial) interactions that I couldn't begin to list.

I feel like I've been absent for huge chunks of my own life.  I've missed being present in the lives of those that I cherish most.  I've always blamed work, or the distance, or the cost of travel - all of which are completely valid reasons to not make constant trips - but looking back, I realize how much I've really missed out on, and what I can never get back. 

Email and cell phones are such a blessing, as is having family and friends that you truly miss seeing, and genuinely enjoy spending time with when you do!  If it hadn't been for these wonderful technological gifts, I don't know that I would have lasted this long being so far away.

Moving forward, I don't want to make excuses for not "being there".  I want to my family and friends to be my top priority, since I don't feel like I've done a very good job of that recently. 

I realize that this will be something of a challenge, especially as Ben and I try to settle into our new home, new jobs, new city.  While it will be difficult to be "present" across the many miles, I won't let opportunities slip away, meanwhile wishing I'd been there, or tried a little harder to make it work. 

Going forward - no regrets!!!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!