Friday, June 3, 2011

Losing The Clutter

With our upcoming move to Salt Lake City, we have made it a priority to de-clutter our house.  It's amazing how much stuff we've accumulated between the 2 of us, and how much of it we don't even use.  Moving is bad enough, so I'm sure as heck not thrilled at the idea of packing and moving stuff we don't need, only to clutter up our new place. 

A few nights ago, Ben and I spent a substantial portion of our evening in our closet, attempting to purge it of all the items we no longer wear (or fit into).  There were a few tears, but tons of laughter (mostly from me, as Ben modeled some of the clothes from his former life selling real estate).  It's amazing how many things I was holding on to - things that I haven't worn since I moved here from Ohio - things that haven't fit me for years. 

While it was sad to say goodbye to some of my former favorites, there was something so cleansing about looking at all the empty space on my side of the closet when I was finished! 


Make no mistake, I did save a few things that I just couldn't bear to part with - hoping that one day I'll be able to wear them again.  
I still have some work to do (there is an entire set of shelves not pictured that contains tank tops, pajamas, t-shirts and workout clothes).  But, considering that between the two of us we got 5 garbage bags full of clothes to donate to charity, I'm feeling pretty good about our progress so far. 


Moving forward, we both need to try a little harder to get rid of things that either don't fit, or that we haven't worn in recent memory.  We also need to do this a little more frequently than every 3 years.  

All I know is, I refuse to move things to Salt Lake City that we either don't wear or don't use.  It just means more boxes, more packing and unpacking, and more work in general.  No thank you!

Life will be so much easier with a little less clutter!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!