Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thankful For...

It's sometimes hard to remember to appreciate the simple pleasures in life.  I am as guilty of this as anyone.  I've tried, over the past weeks and months, to step back, take stock, and enjoy.  It's not always easy, and there are times when life's challenges make finding something to be happy about seem like an all but impossible task.

But, here I am, on Thankful Thursday, finding something to, once again, be thankful for.

I've always loved to read.  As a kid, I would keep a pile of books next to my bed, and after I'd been tucked in, would sneak a book under the covers with a flashlight so that I could spent just a few more minutes in whatever world the book transported me to.  I can completely lose myself wandering around a bookstore, browsing the titles, reading descriptions on the back covers, and contemplating a purchase (or purchases). When going on vacation, my dilemma isn't what clothes to pack, it's what books to bring.

No matter what the genre, the author (though I have my favorites), or the circumstance, I am always thankful for a good book! 

I've been lucky enough to read several good books in the last several months.  It's always satisfying to pick up a book and feel instantly invested in the story, the characters, and not want to put it down.  I'm famous for reading before bed and thinking to myself "I'll just read one more chapter", and before I know it, I've been reading for 2 hours.  Those are the books that I crave! 

Even better are the ones that make me laugh out loud!  Denis Leary's book Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide To Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid, was just such a book.  When I was reading it, I kept Ben awake with my constant laughing, and drove him crazy as I tried to explain what was so funny about what I was reading.  I just started another book a few nights ago that is, so far, proving to be just as funny. 

Of course, not all books need to make you pee your pants to be worth reading.  Some are meaningful, some are suspenseful, and a good one usually leaves you wanting more. 

Whether I'm floating in the pool on a sunny Saturday afternoon, flying cross country, or reading "just a few pages" before going to bed - I'm always thankful for a good book!

P.S.  If you haven't read Heaven Is For Real, you should!  I read about it in People Magazine and after finding it in Target, read it in one day.  It's a wonderful true story about a little boy who, after a life threatening illness and surgery, describes to his parents how angels sang to him, what Jesus was like, and who he met during his brief trip to heaven.  Incredible!

1 comment:

  1. I'm always thankful for books too! I love how they can take me away from whatever stress I'm feeling at any particular moment. I am already busy planning out which books I'll bring along on our next trip to the beach!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!