Monday, July 25, 2011

The Perfect Pillow

I want a good pillow.  Am I crazy?  Have I lost my mind?  Apparently.  I feel like at the end of a stressful day, when all is once again right with the world, I deserve to lay down in my bed with a fluffy pillow cradling my head as I drift off to sleepy land.

Apparently, I dream too big.  A pillow that maintains its shape and firmness?  A pillow that doesn't store and radiate body heat and make me feel like I'm in the damn Sahara Desert?  A pillow that is comfortable without me having to crunch it in half or fold my arm underneath it?  Ha!  Dream on, crazy lady!

Now, I don't know what the standard shelf life of a pillow should be, but we seem to be going through them like toilet paper!  I don't want to throw anyone under the bus...but...my husband is a pillow killer.  Whew, there, I said it.  Boy, does it feel good to get that off my chest.

I just bought us new pillows ($20 each - I splurged!), and he's already broken it down so much that he has a 2nd pillow underneath it to help prop his head up to a comfortable height.  What's a girl to do?  Is there any hope for a simpleton like me who just wants a decent night's sleep without having to spend a fortune on some freaky designer pillow?

I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", but honestly, I'm not about to spend $100 on a pillow!  Scratch that, I'm not about to spend $50!!!  Especially because there's no way to test drive a pillow Yes, you can do a test run in the store, but putting the pillow (in its plastic cover) on a nearby shelf and attempting to simulate how heavy your head is when you're lying down will only get you so far (and yes, I've been "that lady" in Bed Bath and Beyond).

I want some pillow expert to come to my rescue.  I want to be told "This is the pillow for you" and know that I can trust that the pillow won't have a visible head imprint after only 2 weeks of use!

I know that this might seem like something completely trivial, but I don't care.  It is starting to affect my life, and I don't like it.  I just want a decent pillow, people!  Is that really too much to ask?

2 comments:

  1. We buy ours at Target for $5 each. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I splurged when Gottschalks was still in business abs bought a memory foam contoured pillow. Still have it. Still love it. Still no head imprints. My husband prefers the memory foam pillow without the contours.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!