Wednesday, July 13, 2011

If Only I Ran The World...

Oh, if only I ran the world!

Don't we all feel that way from time to time?  I can't count how many times in any given week I think to myself "if only I ran the world..." when faced with the kind of irrational, irresponsible, or flat out idiotic behavior that makes me want to pull out my hair and scream in frustration.

You know those moments - someone runs a red light and there is no cop around, you deal with an idiot on the phone about some ridiculous insurance claim that there is no way to fix, or you see a loved one in a tough spot and you can't do anything about it.

Certainly, if they could see it my way, they would agree that I'm right.  That is a stupid policy, Mrs. Insensitive and Uninterested Insurance Claim Representative.  You belong in jail, Mr. Drive Through A Red Light And Look At Me Like It's My Fault That I Almost Hit You.  You shouldn't have told my dad that he can keep driving, Dr. He's Not Impaired Enough To Revoke Driving Privileges. (And the list goes on)

That's when I wish I could just slap on my "Mrs. Fix-It" hat, push up my sleeves, and dive right in to attempt to right the wrongs, correct the course, or simply give someone the slap to the back of the head that they need.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "Mrs. Fix-It" hat.  I can't dive right in (especially with complete strangers), and even with benevolent intentions, I fear that a slap to the back of the head would send the wrong message.

What's a soul to do?  Pray for enlightenment? (For them, because clearly I'm right).  Argue until I'm blue in the face?  Scream in frustration, hoping that it will ease the pain of perfection that I've been cursed with?

Now, I realize that I'm not perfect, and I realize that some things just can't be fixed.  There will always be idiots, there will always be injustices in the world that drive us crazy, and there will certainly always be situations without solutions.  Such is life.

I need to channel my energy on things that I can control, rather than focus on the impossible situations and those around me that I can't change (even if I am convinced that a slap to the back of the head would be beneficial).

Again, if only I ran the world...

1 comment:

  1. It's hard, though, isn't it? I almost have to block it all out to live a happy existence.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!