Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sharing Custody Of The Remote

I consider myself to have fairly eclectic taste in tv shows and movies.  Comedy, romance, drama, action, documentary - I like it all!

Ben and I have a variety of shows that we record on DVR, and we're constantly "trying out" new programs. 

NCIS, Franklin & Bash, Psych, Happy Endings, Deadliest Catch, Seinfeld - these are just a few of the shows that we watch on a regular basis.  (Yes, I realize that we probably watch too much tv)

Of course, we do mix in a more unusual collection of shows - Hollywood Treasure, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - the kind of "reality/documentary" programming that offers just enough information to be interesting, and just enough drama to be entertaining!

While I know there are shows that Ben just isn't interested in (and in my defense, I only watch Bridezillas when I'm bored and can't find anything else), I find that there are more and more things that he watches that I'm just not into. 

Case in point - Hogs Gone Wild, Swamp People, and BBQ Pit Masters.  I don't get it!  With the exception of BBQ Pit Masters, I find that I don't even want to be in the room while he's watching his shows.  While I accept the validity in what the people on the shows are doing - tracking down wild hogs that are destroying neighborhoods and are a danger to the community, or hunting alligators in order to pay their bills and feed their families - I just don't want to watch it!

Even now, as I sit writing this blog, he is in the next room watching Swamp People with a level of enthusiasm that concerns me!

I realize that when you share a life and a home with someone, there are going to be times when you have to let your partner have their way.  You have to eat foods that maybe aren't your favorite, you have to allow him to sleep with the window open and 3 fans running during the night in order to control the temperature in the room (that's a topic for another time), and sometimes, you watch a tv show or a movie that you're just not interested in. 

While I realize these things, that doesn't mean I have to like it!  So, I'll just hide out in the kitchen or the bedroom until the alligator shooting, tooth missing, incomprehensible folks on Swamp People wrap things up until next week.

3 comments:

  1. Can we talk about this room temperature issue? Because *I* have the same issue with a certain husband over here. He could sleep in a walk in freezer and still be too hot. The thermostat is one of our biggest issues!

    And TV shows? Don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep saying to each other that if the biggest issue in our marriage is the thermostat, we'll be in good shape - that remains to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why Ben was chuckling in the background when we were talking yesterday!

    You have a gift . . . thanks for the laugh.

    Love you both so much. Roo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!