Monday, July 11, 2011

Baby Fever

Let me start by saying, no, I'm not pregnant!

But, apparently, I'm the only one.  I feel like I can't log onto Facebook, or email with a friend, or pick up the phone without hearing news that someone is pregnant (sometimes for the second or third time). 

Is there something in the water?

Of course, I couldn't be happier for my friends as they march into the next phase of their lives - parenthood.  I've enjoyed seeing pictures of growing baby bumps, shots of grandparents holding newborns in the hospital, and the monthly images of the little ones as they grow.  Sometimes I can't believe that the people that I've known for years (or decades, in some cases) are mommies and daddies!

I went through this a few years ago, except it wasn't babies, it was weddings.  Older relatives and friends of mine told me that it would happen, and sure enough, it did.  There was about a 2 year period when it seemed that EVERYONE was getting married. 

Now, it seems that we are entering another phase - everyone has been married for a few years, so now it's time for the babies. 

Confession: For several years, I didn't think I wanted kids.  I've always loved them, I'd just never had that moment of "oh, I want a baby", and I figured that until I felt that, I wouldn't have any.  Well, 2 Christmases ago, for no reason whatsoever, I had my moment.  It just hit me, out of the blue, that yes, I wanted for Ben and I to have a family.

We'd only been married for a few months at that point, so obviously we decided to put it on a back burner for a while. 

Now, coming up on our 2nd anniversary, and feeling like "it's time", I can't help but be a little jealous of all my friends who have been lucky enough to start their families already. 

I realize that when you get married at 28, you don't necessarily have the option of being married for several years before having kids (especially when you'd like to be done by the time you're' 35!) 

The last year or so has been so crazy, we've had so many things stacked against us, and with another few months of chaos ahead, that while we've been "ready", we just keep putting it off.  

So, I find myself caught between a rock and a hard place.  Caught between my desire to start a family, and my need to make sure that we are smart about the timing.  I know that there's "no good time to have a baby", I just need to figure out if there is a "bad time" to have a baby.

*Sigh*

2 comments:

  1. I think it's time we either skype or talk on the phone because I have lots to say on this subject. ;) Been there, done that, friend! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, first of all I love reading your blog! Second, I feel like I am on the opposite end of it. I had my kids early on, and got married and had my first baby almost 8 years ago. So now I am seeing everyone having babies and I am done with my 3, but I can't help feeling the "baby fever" =)I really feel like there is no bad time to have a baby, and whenever a baby comes along, everything else in life pretty much shifts around it. Seeing your posts with the kids that u watched you are going to be an amazing mom! Best of luck with everything!
    - Jenn Purchase (Maccarone =)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!