Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Productivity Delay (due to weather)

This was to be my productive week.  Lots of sorting, organizing, and preparing for the move - truly taking advantage of my time off.  Ah, such are the best laid plans of mice and men.  There's always a snag, always something unforeseen that throws a wrench into things, somehow the darn fly finds the ointment. 

We were having a nice relaxing holiday weekend, looking forward to a productive week ahead, when it happened.  Sitting at home Sunday evening, I commented to Ben that it seemed warm.  He checked the thermostat, announced that it was almost 80 degrees in the house, and reset the AC to something a little more comfortable.  As the evening went on, we ended up opening windows and doors, letting in the cooler night breezes before we went to bed.

Monday morning, when we woke up, our room (which is usually on the warm side) was positively gross - it was as if we were sleeping in an oven.  After fiddling around with the AC for several minutes, we realized that it wasn't working - sure, it was running, but absolutely no cool air was blowing in the house.

Fortunately for us, Monday was only slightly warmer than the previous recorded temperature at a balmy 104 degrees (insert sarcastic tone here).  Being that it was a holiday, we knew that we'd just have to make the best of it until a repair man could be reached on Tuesday.  And so, we slowly baked ourselves in the house.  Figuring that it was better than being outside in the 104 degree heat and sun, we kept on the bare minimum and sat as still as possible, silently willing the sweat to stop pouring off of us.  Finally, we'd had enough and went to a friend's house to cool off and watch fireworks - I swear, air conditioning never felt so good!

This morning, I was up bright and early (probably because our house felt something like a sauna) and placed a phone call to the air conditioning repair man that Susan and Jerry have used in the past.  Not to my surprise, when I spoke to a woman about setting up an appointment, I was advised that he probably wouldn't be able to make it to our house until Thursday (possibly tomorrow, but she's not promising anything).  Dag nabbit!  I know Thursday doesn't seem like a long way off, but when you're sitting in a pool of your own sweat, praying for a cool breeze to sweep through the windows to lower the temperature even a few precious degrees, it feels like an eternity.

Now, I consider myself a fairly resilient person, but at some point, you have to draw the line.  It's not so much that I was looking for an excuse to not be productive this week, but when I'm faced with the prospect of doing major cleaning, sorting, organizing, etc. in a house that is averaging 90 degrees during the day, I'll have to pass.  Some things just have to wait, have to be put on hold, and are less important than not suffering heat stroke!

We are left, in the meantime, to the mercy of the AC repair man - please come soon, we're melting!


P.S.  Can you guess what I'm going to be thankful for on Thursday???

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!