Friday, July 29, 2011

A Letter To The Kids

Today is my last day working with the Jack and Molly.  *Tear*  I know that we'll visit each other, we'll Skype, we'll talk on the phone, we'll send cards and presents, but it just won't be the same.  I've seen them practically every day (minus the odd vacation apart) for the last 4 years - I'm the closest one can be to a parent without actually being a parent.  I love these kids as if they were my own, and I am already missing them. 

So, in light of the fact that we're all beginning a new chapter of our lives (them without me, and me without them), I want to leave them with some thoughts and words of wisdom.

Dear Jack and Molly,

I love you both more than words can say!  You are such amazingly wonderful little people, and I've been so blessed to be a part of your lives over these last years.  It has been truly incredible getting to experience so much with you, the good and the bad.  You've both challenged me, trusted me, loved me, and allowed me to be such a big part of your lives, and for that, I will be forever grateful and proud.

It occurs to me that in the long run, I won't have meant as much to you as you've meant to me, but I want you to know that it's ok.  I'm blessed to know how special these 4 years have been, and to appreciate all that I take away with me. 

Jack Man, be a good boy!  Play, get dirty, have fun, be silly, keep reading, keep swimming, keep asking questions, and don't sweat the small stuff!  You are such a smart little man, and I hope you stay passionate about learning.  I am so proud of the little boy you've become - you are absolutely incredible!  I'll miss our conversations, our lunch dates, our movies, our sleepovers, our tennis lessons, and most of all, I'll miss the funny way you have about explaining things.  Please continue to have lots of fun, make good choices, and show the good behavior that I know you're capable of!  You're my goose!

Molly Moos, stay sweet.  Continue to be friendly, and outgoing with people you come in contact with.  Give hugs, blow kisses, be independent, keep laughing, keep singing and keep dancing.  You are such a happy little girl, I know for sure I'll never meet anyone who's quite like you.  I will miss your giggles, hearing you sing along with songs that you know, your excited voice when you get good news, and most of all, I'll miss the way you lay your head on my shoulder and pat my arm when I give you a hug!  Please be a good girl, don't fight with Jack, and keep your enthusiasm for life!  I sure love my Little Miss!

You have both changed me more than you'll ever be able to understand.  You've taught me about patience, about unconditional love, and about the kind of parent that I want to be someday. 

It has truly been one of the great privileges of my life to spend these years with you. 

I miss you already, and I can't wait to see you soon!!!

I love you, I love you, I love you!!!

-Erin

2 comments:

  1. They are such wonderful kids! I know for a fact that you have made a huge and lasting impression on those two sweet hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will leave a lasting impression on Jack and Molly! You will definitely be hard to be replaced. I will miss you too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!