Monday, August 22, 2011

Starbucks Isn't Looking Too Bad...

I know, I know - I've only been in Ohio for 1 week, my apartment is still in disarray...I should get the rest of my life in order before jumping back into work.

No?  That's not what people are thinking?  Well...crap!

Terrible as it may seem to some, I've enjoyed not working.  Mind you, I'm terrified about depleting what (little) financial reserves we have, and as the money suckers (like utilities, insurance and rent) keep appearing, I'm secretly wishing that the folks at Publishers Clearing House would finally draw our names and show up with a big fat check!

Don't get the wrong idea - I like working.  I want to work.  I like the idea of earning my own money, and I really like the idea of not worrying about how we're going to pay for silly indulgences like...groceries!

I realize it's only been a couple weeks since my last rant about the job search (Wanted: A Job) but I'm just (still) having a hard time figuring out what I want to do. 

Ben puts me to shame.  He has literally hit the ground running, making phone calls, doing odd jobs for my parents, and has actually managed to bring in some money in the last week.  I'm so proud of him, but I'm also jealous - he knows what he likes, he knows what he can do, and he goes for it. 

Me, I'm still grappling with whether to pursue grad school, or work at a university (hopefully to make getting into grad school easier), or just get an administrative assistant job (to bring in some money), or hold out for my "ideal job" (assuming I can nail down what exactly it is), or just say "to hell with it" and go apply at Starbucks (literally, as I write this I have another screen open with a Starbucks job description on it).

I know I'm not the only one looking for a job right now, and with the economy the way it is, I know that any job will put me ahead - I'm just someone who takes work seriously.  I want to like what I do.  I want to like the people I'm working with and the company that I'm working for.  I want to look forward to work, not dread it and spend my free time thinking of creative ways to get out of it.  I want to make enough money to keep us comfortable, but I also don't want to be a sell-out who works a job of no significance because it happens to pay well.

*Is it wrong that I also question whether or not I can go back to working in an office?  I've worn capri pants and flip flops to work every day for the last 4 years - I'm honestly not sure that a business suit and cubicle are in my future.*

I know that there are no simple solutions - I just need to get my resume out there and see what comes of it.

I'm trying to keep the faith and hope that the right situation will present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!