Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Great Move-In

Well, we made it.  We are officially here in Hudson/Stow, and in our new apartment!!!  Yay/whew!

After several long days on the road, we are glad to be here, relatively unscathed!  

First the good news - we got the entire truck unpacked in a few short (though they didn't seem short) hours.  Also, this morning, both moms set to work in our kitchen and got all our cupboards loaded and ready to go for us.  Our apartment is in a great location - an end unit at the corner of the property - surrounded by trees and grass on 2 sides!  Finally, it took about a day, but I no longer have the sensation of moving, even when I'm standing on solid ground (a side effect from driving from California to Ohio).

Now, the not-so-great news - the apartment is tiny small (this we knew, but some things you don't really appreciate until you're there in person, and since this is all we can afford, I'm willing to go with it)!!!  How we ever thought we could take stuff spread around a 2,000 sqft house and put it into an apartment that's less than half the size is beyond me.  We are currently living in a jungle of boxes, with no clear cut plan in how to tackle them.  The bathrooms are teeny, the kitchen doesn't even come close to holding all our stuff, and we need to buy several large pieces of furniture (a tv cabinet, bookshelves, a dresser, a couch) which can be fun, but ultimately sends me into a mild panic attack at the thought of spending more money (especially when neither of us has a job)!

Long story short, we're here, we're getting settled, and I'll be glad when I can walk through the apartment without tripping over boxes, shoving suitcases out of my way, or trying to remember which room something was tossed in during the move-in. 

I know it's not "Thankful Thursday", but I'm so thankful for our moms (getting us organized), for Steve (the son of my parents' neighbor who helped us unload our truck), and for Ben (for suggesting that we come to Ohio in the first place). 

I know things will come together, and if nothing else, this apartment will be good motivation to save our money and stick to a budget so that we can buy a house!

Overall, the good outweighs the bad! 

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!