Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's Not The Journey, It's The Destination

I've never been one for scenic road trips.  While I don't mind driving - in fact I used to look forward to the 7 1/2 hours that I had to myself while driving back and forth from college and home - I am not someone who wants to stop every 60 miles to go into a local store, or seek out the world's biggest ball of twine, or drive 2 hours out of my way for some other monument, national park, or tourist destination.

When I drive, I want to make good time.  I want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible.

I know the saying goes "It's not the destination, it's the journey".  Well, that might be true in terms of being a metaphor for life, but when it comes to road trips, my motto is "just get there!".  Unless I'm about to pee in my pants, or the vehicle I'm driving is literally out of gas, I'm hard pressed to pull over.
As we continue our trek across the better part of the country, these words feel true more than ever before - JUST GET THERE!!!!

We're more than halfway to Ohio - so far we've gone from California to Nebraska, with only Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio still on the agenda.

I don't know if it's just me, but all the states are beginning to look the same - flat.  The only good thing about Nebraska (which, for the record, looks exactly like most of Nevada and Wyoming), is that it's more green than brown, which is a definite bonus after 3 days of brown mountain driving.



Tomorrow, we'll stop in Des Moines to meet up with some of Ben's family for lunch (only a slight detour, and one that I'm looking forward to), and then hit the road once again. 


Insert theme song here..."On the road again.  I just can't wait to get on the road again..."

1 comment:

  1. Flat = midwest. ;)

    Can I see you at Thanksgiving? Like in real life? :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!