Sunday, August 7, 2011

Goodbye, California!

Yesterday we officially said goodbye to California.

I'm a mixture of sad, nostalgic, and excited to FINALLY be on our way!  It was a rough week, our nerves were...frayed (to put it mildly), and we are now officially moving on (literally).

The drive was long, boring, and made even more difficult because Ben and I were in 2 separate vehicles!  I was lucky enough to drive "Big Red" (as we affectionately call Ben's Ford F-350), while he had the unpleasant task of driving the moving truck, which was also towing "Little Red" (my Suzuki).

But, after about 11 1/2 hours of driving, we successfully arrived in Salt Lake City, just in time for dinner with Ben's family!

Today, the reality of being "homeless" hit me a little bit.  I am still referring to California as "home", in conversation and part of me feels like we'll be back there in a few days.  Then, Ben was showing off some video of Molly from our last days with the kids - so of course, that made us cry. 

I know that this is going to be something of a process and that over time I'll fully "get" the fact that we don't live in California anymore, I'll probably accept that we don't get to see Jack and Molly every day (though I don't have to like it), and hopefully at some point, Ohio will feel like home once again.

As California is further behind us and we get closer and closer to Ohio, I know things will get easier - for now, I'm just missing our old life, and feeling nervous about setting up a new one. 

Let the transition begin!

2 comments:

  1. I have nerves as well, but I know the next phase of our lives is full of exciting new possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ben's comment!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!