Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nature

I've never claimed to be one with the elements.  I don't camp, I don't hike, I don't do...y'know, "outdoorsy things". 

But, I do love being outside.  At the beach, at a lake, at a park on a beautiful spring day, (does eating outside at a restaurant count?) - I appreciate these things. 

Today, in spite of my lack of "natural flare" (pun intended), I'm thankful for nature. 

I spent quite a bit of time outside today (for me). 

Ben and I walked Mia a few miles along the Metro Parks trail that runs behind our apartment complex and took her to a local dog park.  Then, again this evening, we walked in the opposite direction on the trail and enjoyed the quiet of dusk.  We saw deer twice today (as Ben fought the urge to get a gun and go hunting), appreciated the shade, and watched for lightening bugs (something we didn't get to enjoy in California).  While taking Mia for her final "out" of the evening, our ears perked at the sound of rumbling thunder, and we watched as the sky lit up with the approach of a storm.

Just being outside today, in the fresh air, getting some light exercise, life seemed simpler somehow.  Things slow down.  You can't rush when you're in the forest (Ben has pointed out that the trail behind the apartment isn't really a forest, but hey, I'll call it what I want).  I can't speak for everyone, but I know that when I give myself a chance, I almost always enjoy the sights and sounds of the outdoors.  Granted, this doesn't mean that I'm going to plan my first camping trip to the hills of central Ohio any time soon.  I'm just saying, something about walks, lightening bugs and thunderstorms makes you appreciate the simple things - which I know I need to do more of.

So, today, I'm thankful for nature, and the opportunity to be a (brief) visitor every now and then.

1 comment:

  1. You've made me want to grab a glass of southern sweet tea and sit outside tonight to watch the stars and lightning bugs -- btw why don't you have them in Cali?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!