Friday, January 6, 2012

The Seasons Of Life

I had to think long and hard about this week's "Thankful" post, which is why it's a day late.

Ben and I have been feeling some "baby pressure" lately.  Friends, family, the little off-hand comments that they make.  Some of it is our fault - we readily engage in the "what baby names do you like this week" game, and it seems that not more than a few days goes by without us (or someone else) making a comment that begins with "when we have kids..."

But, we're not there yet.  There are several reasons for this, and while we want to have a family eventually, we need to be smart and wait until the time is right. 

So, today, this week, this month (you get the idea), I'm trying to be thankful for this season of our lives.

I'm thankful that we only have to worry about the 2 of us. 

I'm thankful that we can go to sleep at night and (most nights) not wake up until our alarms start beeping at 7:30.

I'm thankful that we don't have to stress over paying for diapers and formula and bottles and childcare and car seats and more diapers and toys and baby clothes...

I'm thankful that we can go out to dinner without hauling 20 pounds of baby crap with us (and sit to enjoy a pleasant meal without a fussy little one).

I'm thankful that, at least for now, we can make plans without worrying about how it will effect a napping schedule.

I'm thankful that our apartment doesn't smell of spit-up and soiled diapers.

I'm thankful that we have the option to take a vacation without worrying about how a baby would handle the travels.

Don't get me wrong - we do want all of those things - the smelly diapers, the 3 a.m. feedings, the cranky toddler in a restaurant (and of course all the fun stuff that comes with kids)...just not yet.

I know someday we will look back on these days of "just the 2 of us" and smile (or possibly struggle to remember what life was like before little ones).

So, as we wait for the "right time" to present itself - I will be thankful for this time in our lives when all we have to worry about is each other!

2 comments:

  1. Erin--

    Thank you for this post. My husband and I feel that same pressure and as of now, we have decided the same thing that you guys have. We have my beautiful step-daughters so we have the "parent" part of it all but at the same time they only live with us on the weekends so we also have all the perks of just the 2 of us. Very recently a family member had a baby and since then we have heard about having a baby a lot more. However, like you we have decided to wait and mostly for the same reasons you have. Thank you for showing me that we are not the only people going though this.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I feel like an a$$ for championing the babymaking portion of your most recent post. I know how pushy moms can get, especially when it comes to pressuring non-moms to procreate - we just want more women to join the ranks (and comiserate about those late night feedings) with us. The truth of the matter is, as much as I adore my children, I wish I'd taken more time to enjoy the pre-children "season of life" as you put it. My husband and I were married for about three and a half years when our first child was born, and while we had fun during those years, we didn't check nearly enough things off our "must do" list. Now, we wonder if we'll still have the energy/desire/cartilege for those activities once the kids are grown and out of the house! You are so right to embrace what you and Ben have right now; and because you do, I'm sure that when a child does enter the picture, you will be excellent parents.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!