Monday, January 30, 2012

Let It Snow!

When Ben and I made the decision to move from California to Ohio, we knew that it would mean not only big changes, but big compromises.  I, for one, had gotten really used to the California climate.  Call me crazy, but getting to wear flip flops 10 months out of the year was not exactly a hardship!

But, we knew that Ohio was where we needed to be, so we made the move, all the while trying to mentally prepare for our first Ohio winter. 

Aaaaand...we're still waiting for it. 

Knowing that things were going to be tight for the first few months, we decided that Ben should buy a snow plow for his truck, in order to make money during the slow winter months that we've come to expect in his business. 

Call me crazy, but I actually thought that there would be snow in Ohio in the winter - maybe I've just been gone too long - but this is not winter in Ohio as I remember it! 

I remember bitter cold, snow drifts that came up to your waist, sledding, skiing, and best of all, SNOW DAYS!

I don't recall a winter in Ohio that included thunder storms, flooding, and 50+ degree weather!

I suppose it's Murphy's Law - if we hadn't bought the plow, we'd probably have had 3 blizzards by now. 

All I know is - we need it to snow! 

We're watching the weather hopefully, expectantly, willing it to snow!  We wake up and check the weather.  Throughout the day, we're checking the weather forecast to see if anything has changed.  Before we go to bed, we're checking the weather yet again, praying that an unexpected squall is headed our way.

If there actually is snow in the forecast, Ben is looking out the window every 10 minutes to see if the illusive flakes have begun to fall.  Then, when it doesn't come, or doesn't stick, he pouts.

I know that most of you Ohioans think that this winter weather is just fine and dandy, and if it weren't for the plow attached to Big Red that cost several thousand dollars, I'd be right there with you. 

But, for now, I need for it to snow!!!  I need for Ben to quit pouting every time the sun comes out or the temperature goes above 40 (which it's done a lot).  I need to stop second guessing the decision to buy the stupid plow in the first place.  I need to not feel guilty because it's raining (as if I had anything to do with it).

Mind you, I'm not asking for sub-zero temperatures, or a blizzard (though I wouldn't mind the blizzard).  I'm just asking for temperatures below freezing so that we get less rain and more snow, and when it does finally snow, the ground (and roads) are cold enough to let it stick.

For Ben's sake, and my own sanity, please - let it snow, let it snow, let it SNOW!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!