Monday, January 23, 2012

Just The Two Of Us

On Saturday, I got to spend some time with my dad.  Just the two of us!

I realized afterwards that although Ben and I moved here to spend more time with my parents, and although we do see them once or twice a week, I couldn't remember the last time that JB and I did anything alone.

The great part about Saturday was...it wasn't my idea...it was my dad's!

I get my hair cut at the same place my parents go.  The same woman cuts our hair, and over the last few months, my dad and I have been on the same haircut schedule.

Last week was no different.  My dad had been in earlier in the day, so on Wednesday evening when I went in to chop off my hair, I was able to get an update from Cheryl on how he'd been that day (as he tends to get pissy when she cuts his hair "too short").

So, as Cheryl filled me in on her earlier appointment with JB, she told me that he had said something really sweet.  When she mentioned to him that I was coming in later that evening for a hair cut, he said "I wish I'd known.  She and I could have gotten our hair cut at the same time and then gone for a father-daughter dinner together."

Melt my heart, JB!

So, I'd already had it in my head that I was about due for some alone time with JB.  But just imagine my surprise when he called me on Saturday morning to see if I wanted to go to breakfast with him, just the two of us.

It hit me, as we sat in Perkins talking about nothing too important, that this is exactly why we're here.  For moments and memories like those.  We're here to be helpful, to ease the burden, but mostly we're here to spend time.  

It also made me realize that I need to make more of an effort to spend time with my dad alone.  It's great to spend time with both of my parents, great to have Ben with me when we take JB to dinner.  But, it's also important to set aside time for me and JB.  Just the two of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!