Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life Unplugged

Tonight, at our house, we're trying something new. 

A night without tv. 

That's right, folks.  We have unplugged! 

Don't get too excited.  It's not like we threw out the tv.  We are just doing without it this evening. 

I feel like every night is the same.  We make dinner with the tv on.  We eat dinner on our tv trays.  After dinner, we go back and forth about what show we should watch next. 

Instead of connecting, talking, and enjoying the quiet that the evening offers, we are all about what shows are recorded, what sports games are on, and who gets to pick what we watch. 

So, tonight, we sat at the kitchen table, tv off, and talked.  We didn't even talk about anything especially deep or important - but we did talk.  Uninterrupted.

I fear that Ben and I have begun to rely on the tv to help us tune out our own lives.  We're stressed, things are tough right now, but if the tv is on, we can forget about the stress of our world and lose ourselves in the show. 

I don't want to do that.  I want to take time to talk, to think, to decompress, and to figure things out.  

Maybe this will be our new thing: once or twice a week, a night without tv! 

Whether or not it sticks, I'm thankful for the peace and quiet tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!