Friday, October 14, 2011

Belated Thanks...Again

Commutes to and from work can be such a pain. 

You're sitting in your car, working your way through traffic, trying to fight off the road rage that threatens to take over every time some jackass cuts you off (or is that just me?), wishing that you could just be there already!

We've all been there, and I'm back there after 4 blissful years of having no commute (one of the many perks of living where you work).

Now that I'm in my new job, my drive has become a big part of my day.  I had to figure out the fastest route to and from my office, which is about 20 miles away - one that avoided stand-still traffic on the freeway, a million school zones where you're forced to creep along at 20 miles per hour (enter road rage again), and curvy back roads that will be a disaster this winter.

I have found my route, I know it by heart, and now my time before and after work can be spent not stressing about when to merge from one lane to another, or how long I've been in the car, but doing one of my favorite things - singing.

I don't claim to be a great singer.  Fortunately I can carry a tune and don't seem to make dogs howl if I break into song.

One of my favorite places to sing (and is often the only place that I dare do it) is in the car.  There's something so great about finding a song on the radio (one that I actually know the words to) and singing along at the top of your lungs.  

Yes, I am that woman that you pass by in your car, who is just bopping along, happy as a clam, singing her heart out to whatever is playing.

It's something that I missed getting to do in California - it's somewhat difficult to have a sing-along that doesn't include barnyard animals or the Itsy Bitsy Spider when you've got 2 small children in the car with you.

So, while I could be bitter about the fact that I spend the better part of an hour getting to and from work each day, I'm choosing to be thankful. 

I'm thankful that now I once again have time to relax, unwind, and sing to my heart's content!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!