Thursday, April 26, 2012

Job Choices

Being a nanny was a tough job.

Nobody who chooses to be a nanny is in it for the money.  They're usually not in it for the benefits either (you're considered lucky if you get low end health insurance).  It's not a complaint, just a part of the business - over worked, under paid - thus is the typical life of a nanny.  People who are nannies not only love children, but love what they do!!!

Today at work, I was catching up with one of our nannies and the conversation came around to our choices in jobs.

She was telling me how her sister is working for a well known phone company.  She is making...well...more than I make, she's got insurance coverage that I couldn't begin to dream of, not to mention a list of perks that made me check my chin for drool!

But, she doesn't really care about what she's doing - it's just a job.  

While I was a little jealous at first, I thought about it a bit more and realized...I'm not that person.  I've never wanted "any old job".  I've known for a while that I want to like what I'm doing.  I want to care about what I'm doing.  I want my job to make a difference!

I realize that I'm not exactly curing cancer here, but still, if I'm spending 8 or 9 or 10 hours a day doing something, I'd better damn-well like it!

So, today I'm thankful for my job.  Yes there is stress, and yes I work long hours sometimes, but I truly love what I do, and you can't put a price on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, concerns - so drop me a line!